Wednesday, March 4, 2009

hot sauce & discipline..

First off, go to this page and read the article...otherwise you wont know wth I'm talking about lol

http://blogs.babycenter.com/momformation/2009/02/24/saucing-the-new-spanking/?scid=preschooler_20090303:2&pe=2Uv83eb

I dont know what to say to that. I say I would never consider that as a punishment, but my children are still sooo young...maybe in later years (10+) I MIGHT consider it. But it seems so HARSH. And there are medical concerns I have as far as that goes too. Dont get me wrong, I discipline my child. She goes in timeouts, has been sent to her room, has even been sent to bed early. For certain things she gets a spanking. But I feel those are appropriate for a 2.5 yr old. Saucing however, I dont. But, like I said, in 7-8 years I may feel differently, but I SERIOUSLY doubt it. That sounds horrible!! I do agree with something the blogger said
I don’t believe parents deserve respect just because they’re a mom or a dad. Like their kids, they, too, have to earn it.
That's SOOOO true!!

In the article, the blogger also asks
I’m also curious about what you think of other physical alternatives to spanking, such a making a child kneel on gravel or rice, washing a mouth out with soap or using strong words (for instance, the Washington Post said that Lisa Welchel “suggests telling a child who refuses to hold your hand while crossing the street, ‘I can either hold your hand or hold your hair’”).
I do NOT agree with ANY of those methods, except MAYBE washing their mouth out with soap...MAYBE. The kneeling on gravel/rice (or even grits as was done to Dakota Fanning's character in the movie "The Secret Life of Bees" as a punishment by her father) is a HORRIBLE thing to do. That has to cause some kind of consequences later in life for those poor children who are made to do that!! :( No matter how bad things got, I dont think I could do that. Thats what boot camp is for ;)

Anywho, enough of that now. Gotta get lunch started, finish downloading and uploading these kits, and finish this skin!! And the newsletter too! ack! and I have 2 birthday invitations I need to get done this week!

1 comment:

  1. Actually, my parents put hot sauce on my thumbs as a small child -- but that was to get me to stop sucking them so I guess that's a different story! LOL ;)

    I agree, communication needs to be a 2 way street with parents and children and if you are not trying with them how can you expect them to try with you? There are alternative solutions than violence and 'harsh' behavior.

    ReplyDelete